Monday, June 06, 2016

I Need a New Relationship

I broke up with Doxycycline last night. We'd been together nearly four months—this time. We've had an on-and-off relationship for years. He swore he could help me get over my painful experience with Lyme, and for a while it seemed that he did. But he was so controlling . . . dictating what I could eat and when . . . and abusive too! My gut bacteria hasn't been the same since we met.

So last night I decided that I'd had it with him. (He took it surprisingly well.) But you know me . . . I'm not about to sit home alone with only Lyme, Babesiosis and Bartonella for company. I'm going to get in touch with Herb. Actually Herbs, plural. (Why settle for just one?) And that handsome hunk, Homeopathy. He's been good to me in the past.

7 comments:

crystal said...

Sorry to hear the antibiotics aren't working out. What are the possibilities with herbs and homeopathy? It does seem sometimes like the cure for things can be so difficult to endure that ti's not worth the trouble. I saw this in the news ... http://www.thehour.com/news/yale-team-finds-possible-cure-for-tick-borne-illness/article_15a33c18-2c0c-11e6-8370-3f22e4321547.html

Susan said...

Encouraging article, Crystal--thanks! How do you find these?

Turns out I won't be breaking up with Doxy after all, at least not right now. During my shower this evening I found two tick bites. :-(

indigo bunting said...

Oh, man.

Helen said...

Yikes... maybe you should swing both ways and have a pharmaceutical/complementary medicine orgy.

Susan said...

Hard to know what to do. I'm not alone in this; so many are struggling, whether they're self-treating or working with physicians. The fact that there's no clear cure certainly doesn't help. I stayed on the doxycycline for now, and have actually had a pretty good week despite the new bites. After almost 4 months on doxy, my levels are probably so high that I won't be reinfected (this time).

Helen said...

Susan, is everything OK? You've been silent for a while...

Susan said...

Thanks, Helen. Good of you to think of me. For me, the worst of my Lyme symptoms has been the inability to look at my computer screen for long periods. One result of this is that I haven't written anything except Facebook posts and the occasional email. But (I'm almost afraid to say this) it seems to be improving, and if that's true I'll be back soon.