Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Queen

I enjoyed seeing the movie The Queen the other day, but I wonder what Queen Elizabeth thought of it. That is, IF she watched it. I also wonder how the filmmakers were able to get away with depicting real, live people (live being the operative word), their conversations and their emotions, in a movie.

It is unlikely that anyone will make a film about me without my consent or support (of course, with my consent and support is another matter entirely), but if they did I think I would find it WILDLY uncomfortable to watch. And even more WILDLY uncomfortable not to watch. I can see myself sitting in front of the screen--or rather I can hear myself, my vocabulary sinking another notch with every scene.

"I didn't say that, you son of a bitch!"...."Shit! That wasn't something I would ever do!"... "Oh my God, would you look at her effing hair!!"

Do you suppose something similar went on at Buckingham Palace? I think it's more likely the royal family tossed the movie reviews into the fireplace, gathered up the dogs and the cold lamb stew, piled into the Land Rover, and went stalking.

4 comments:

Sabine said...

I LIKE the new look!

Susan said...

Oh, good. That's all the encouragement I need to keep it. Thanks!

Indigo Bunting said...

I heard from somewhere that the Palace was cooperative with the film. Not sure WHERE I heard such a thing--probably from some of my more entertainment-tuned friends.

I thought the movie did a decent job of balancing the issues. (And I love Helen Mirren, of course.)

But yeah, gutsy to do a movie with her still alive.

And yes, blog looks great!

Cedar Waxwing said...

Susan, I had those same thoughts exactly about The Queen.