Thursday, January 12, 2006

New year, old me

It's been eight months since I posted. At least I know I'm not overwhelming my readers.

I turned on Oprah today to hear Carole Radziwill talk about her book, What Remains. I'll bet it's good. Do I really want to read another book about loss? I think I'd like to read this one. I'm not so sure about Joan Didion's Year of Magical Thinking. My stepdaughter Nancy sent it to me, so I'll probably give it a go. Otherwise, I was inclined to pass it up. Nancy said Didion and I couldn't be less alike. After listening to Didion on Fresh Air, I have to agree.

Nancy also sent me the Best American Essays of 2005. Add these books to the stack at my bedside and the (many) shelves around the house, and I've got to make some time to read! I also have to make a place to read. A sofa would be nice, or a loveseat. My sofa and loveseat are still sitting in the furniture store's warehouse, waiting for me to finish readying the living room. I wonder how the leather is holding up?

1 comment:

Sabine said...

Welcome back to the blogverse, Susan. I have to make time to read, too. I used to read everything I could get my hands on. Now I rarely find the time to read at all. It's a question of poor time management, I think.

If you read Del's blog entry today, (go quick, before he takes it down!) he made reference to what looks like an interesting, romantic, tragic story. I'll have to keep a pad of paper and a pencil handy, so when people suggest books that ingtrigue me, I can jot them down.