Monday, April 04, 2011

From my journals........1952 (age 8 to 9)

January 1: Yesterday we went to a New Years Eve house party at Ronnie's house. We left at 9:30 in the night time. But I didn't stay long. I was the only "kid" there. I played the piano there. We had refreshments. I took some home when I went home to bed. I didn't get up on 12 o'clock to ring the bells. Happy New Year!

January 4: Today My Mother took down the tree. I was sad when we threw it out the window. I broke off a little branch for me. Then I went back to school. I fell asleep so fast. I went to the doctor's with my Father in the night.

(I have no idea what that means. I'm envisioning my father and me sneaking out in the dead of night to rendezvous with the doctor. Oh, and in the city everyone threw their Christmas tree out the window for disposal.)

January 5: I played with sick Carolyn today. We played Monopoly. I went to the store with my Father. We spent $16.00.

January 11: Well, today is Friday. I love Friday. I watch "Mama" a T.V. program. And "Man Against Crime."

January 14: Nothing wonderful happened.

January 20: I thought

February 20: Today the doctor is coming. For I have an ear abses. And I have to go to the hospital to get my adnoyds out.

October 18: Carolyn had her party today because it was Saturday. My Mother and father went to Lucky's and got lost on the way home. They drove 150 miles and my mother got carsick. I went to Carolyn's party. When they came back we (the girls at the party) thought that my mother was with my father and when he came in to Carolyn's house we all started to sing "Happy Birthday" because it was my Mother's birthday today. My Father said, "It's not my birthday!" We all laughed. But later my mother came down and then we sang "Happy Birthday" all over again but this time to the right person. "Happy Birthday" Mommy!

7 comments:

crystal said...

"January 20: I thought" :)

That was when you lived in an apartment in New York City?

Susan said...

Yup. We lived there until I got married. The day after I got married, my parents moved to Florida. So the wedding was not entirely joyous--although we acted as though it was.

Indigo Bunting said...

I am loving this series.

Helen said...

Me too... and I love the idea of jettisoning a Christmas tree from the window.

Eulalia Benejam Cobb said...

What a romantic you were, breaking a little sprig off the Christmas tree!

Susan said...

I wish I could say I still have the sprig. I don't imagine it lasted long. :-)

Thanks, guys!

Jenny Hill said...

"Nothing wonderful happened."

Susan, these are a treasure. Thank you for sharing them.