Tuesday, March 10, 2009

How I'm Helping the Economy

1. I shove my monthly financial statements in a file folder quickly, after only a cursory glance, thereby reducing my chances of having a costly (to my health insurance company) mental breakdown.

2. I got a job with a 45-minute commute each way, thereby incurring weekly gas fill-ups and increasing the wear and tear on my car, which will result in the need to replace it at some point. Detroit will be proud of me. Of course, I'll probably buy another Toyota, so there goes that benefit.

3. I did buy an American-made washing machine (Speed Queen) last week. But the bigger selling point was that it came with a 3-year warranty.

4. I bought a TV armoire that does not look good in its intended spot, so I'm giving it away. Therefore, we can count this expenditure as a generous donation to the furniture company. Let us ignore the fact that the armoire was made in Indonesia.

5. I also bought three made-in-India rugs. They look good in their intended spots.

6. I hired a contractor to create a laundry alcove for me. Since he is a future in-law and therefore a member of my extended family, he undercharged me and I underpaid him. But hey, every little bit helps, right?

7. I'm staying out of trouble, financial or otherwise.

What are you doing for the cause?

5 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

I'm having a drink with Fat Red Ant tonight (remember her?). Beatrix Kiddo is the bartender.

I have gone out to eat a few times.

I...ummm...don't know. Back to work!

Susan said...

Well, I think you should give BK a Fat Green Tip. And please say hello to FRA for me! (Does she have a blog?)

crystal said...

I have to admit, I'm not doing my part. The last thing I spent moey on was a gift to the Happy Tails Pet Sanctuary :)

Susan, do you have a bird bath? I want to make one but may end up buying one - guess that would help the economy.

Susan said...

I don't have a bird bath, but it's something I've always been telling myself I should have, if that counts for anything.

I had to stop feeding the birds from late spring to early fall because of bears getting into the feeders and doing other damage. You probably remember that one killed one of my dogs a few years ago.

We permanently closed the pool quite a while back, and the water that collects on the cover is like a bird bath. And a frog pond. And a dragonfly breeding ground.

Indigo Bunting said...

Susan—Found this note too late, but here is a place to find FRA:

http://christinegladephotography.com