Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Winter Would Be More Fun If . . .

. . . we didn't have to drive.

Here's the current weather bulletin for my area:

Snow Will Overspread The Region Between 7 PM And 10 PM This Evening. Snow... Moderate At Times Will Continue Past Midnight Before Mixing With And Changing To Sleet And Freezing Rain In The Pre Dawn Hours Of Wednesday.


I work from 4:00 to 9:00. So, if this forecast turns out to be accurate, I'll be undertaking the mountainous, winding, 45-minute (on a good day) drive home in the middle of it. It's not that I'm worried about deep snow; this storm doesn't sound like it's going to amount to a lot. But some of the slipperiest driving conditions I've experienced have involved a very small amount of wet snow. And then, of course, there's ice.

This is yet another reason why I wish I'd become a best-selling author. A reclusive best-selling author.

I wonder if J. D. Salinger was nervous about winter driving. And I wonder why the National Weather Service types its bulletins with initial caps.

11 comments:

crystal said...

Be careful, Susan! Do you have those spiky things on your tires?

One winter when I lived in Portland it snowed and I worked at the top of a steep hill - the Oregon Health Sciences University hospital - they called it pill hill. I took the bus and every night as we slithered up the windy road, I thought, "We're all dead men (and women :)"

Indigo Bunting said...

I am so nervous about winter driving. Tomorrow morning I have a doctor's appointment 45 minutes away, one I really don't want to have to reschedule, and we are in for a storm too--maybe the same one?

Be careful! (I'm also worried about my trip to Pennsylvania next week!)

The driving part is absolutely it. You've hit the nail on the head.

Helen said...

There's still time to realize that dream..

Helen said...

Did J.D. Salinger ever get his hair cut? Or go the dentist?

Susan said...

LOL I wouldn't mind letting my hair grow. The dentist thing could present a problem, though.

IB, are you coming to northeast PA, by any chance? Good luck with getting to your appointment today!

Nope, Crystal, no spiky things. Studded tires can only be used (legally speaking) certain months of the year. Plus tires for my car cost $200 apiece, so owning four (plus a spare) is the best I can do.

I drove home with snow falling last night. My son offered to drive me, but then I'd have to be driven to work today. So I ventured out, taking a longer but possibly safer route. Most of it was back roads--untreated but more desirable because I didn't have other drivers (speedy, risk-taking drivers) to worry about.

So I made it home safely. But I still hate winter driving.

Indigo Bunting said...

Susan: I started off on my trip to the doctor's office, turned around, and canceled. I was not happy to do it. As for PA, we're heading for the Harrisburg area...

crystal said...

Susan,

I'm hopeless at Facebook, so I'll answer you here - I'm the one in shorts :)

Susan said...

LOL, Crystal!

IB, I feel your pain. I hate when I have to do that, too. I wish you were heading near me. H'burg is quite a hike from here.

We have a bigger storm forecast for tomorrow. I don't have to work, thank goodness, but that gives me plenty of time to worry about my children's commutes, which are even longer than mine.

BTW, my social life, which tends to be concentrated in December, is suffering with all these weather-related cancellations.

Indigo Bunting said...

Someday, Susan, I'll drive through! And I sure hope the snow lets up for Tuesday so I can make the trip...

It's just about to start here.

Susan said...

We're supposed to get about 10" today and the same amount on Sunday. Plus a similar storm for Christmas Eve. I hope this doesn't screw up your trip, IB.

Indigo Bunting said...

I'm supposed to drive Tuesday, and right now, it looks like the only safe day to drive. We'll see if it holds...