Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A Great Day


I'm gonna miss wearing my Obama buttons. They sparked conversations with all sorts of strangers. Like the cashier at the redneck butcher shop who was turning 18 in a few days and who said he was so happy to be able to cast his first vote for Obama. And the psychologist at a nearby table in restaurant where a friend and I were having lunch, who said, "Excuse me . . . I just wanted to say how glad I am to see the two of you wearing those buttons so proudly." And the somewhat elderly Home Depot clerk who said if Sarah Palin found herself assuming the presidency she would "excuse herself." Uh-huh . . .

I had a bunch of them (the buttons, that is). There was my favorite, BLONDES FOR OBAMA. And the one that looked like an album cover, JAZZ FOR BARACK OBAMA, with his profile in blue. I was qualified to wear REPUBLICANS FOR OBAMA because, well, I'm still on the books. And then there was my extra-large purple MICHELLE OBAMA button.

I'll miss them. But I'm resisting the impulse to order one that says I TOLD YOU SO YES WE DID.

8 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

Woo hoo! Thanks for these stories.

And your Obama buttons probably have a little shelf life left in 'em.

crystal said...

:)

Sabine said...

I'm going to open a meat shop and call it the Redneck Butcher Shop. I'll probably mostly sell possum.

Helen said...

Will you sell prairie oyster pie at Christmas?

Susan said...

You'll probably do a land office business. At least you would around here--prairie oysters and all.

If I could take pictures of this butcher shop without getting shot, I'd show you what I mean.

Adam Byrn "Adamus" Tritt said...

Nice job. We did it, didn't we? He did it. We did it. Donated the money, made the calls, put up the signs, drove folks to the polls. And it was a close one too. 13,000 vote difference in NC. A popular vote as close as any seen.

Just so, I hope we are a country amended and not a country divided.

I took a look at a voting mp of my county. Holy Hanna is my county red. There are three small pockets of blue. No wonder we wanted to live in the neighbourhood we chose. It isn't so snazzy, it's not so classy, it's a bit too grassy but, well hell, it's blue!

When the campaign started I, too, qualified for the Republicans for Obama. You may remember, O loyal readers, during the Republican convention I quit the party and sent a letter explaining my reasons to the RNC to arrive before the end of the convention. I copied that letter to the DNC and the Obama campaign (and to Kucinich for kicks).

I want to see a voting layout of Alaska to see if there are any blue spots before I make my vacation plans. I don't want to wander into the wrong part of America.

Maybe I'll head to Vermont instead.

Anonymous said...

It was a great day, wasn't it? Still is actually.

Indigo Bunting said...

Adam: Vermont is nice. Maybe you and Craig need to make a road trip after the snows up here.