Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Mixed Blessing That is eBay

In 2003, when I first got uber-serious about decluttering, my son was selling ham radio stuff on eBay. I asked him to sell his father's chemistry and horse books. He said, "No, you do it. Once you get into it, you'll love it." I had zero enthusiasm for learning something new, but I couldn't persuade my son to take this on. So I bought a book on how to sell on eBay, and jumped in.

My son was right: Once I got into it, I loved it. I especially loved selling books. One reason is that I love books, and another is that they're easy to ship. So after I sold off all my husband's books, I culled my collection and sold a lot of them.

Of course, I didn't stop there. I love books, and I also love the hunt. What fun to prowl thrift shops and yard sales for potentially valuable books! I estimate that I was right about the potential value 50% of the time. My stepdaughter sells china on eBay, and for a while I found myself in thrift shops turning over cups and saucers to read the marks on the bottom. But I soon realized that I absolutely didn't want to ship fragile items. And I never tried to calculate how much I made per hour on eBay because I was sure the figure was likely to be shockingly low. But I had fun.

Eventually, though, I got tired of selling and tired of seeing books, packing materials, and other items all over the place. I stopped selling for many months. I haven't been tempted to start up again, but last week my son suggested that we list some of his dad's scientific equipment. I told him I'd round up some leftover books and list those first, to get my feet wet again. I did that, and now I'm feeling some of that old excitement.

Trouble is, now I'm tempted to start hunting again. I'm resisting this because the last thing I need is more stuff in the house, even if it's stuff I hope to move out of here. As it is, my living area has already been taken over with UV lights, spectophotometers, chain balances, and other large items from my husband's lab. Oy! EBay can be a good idea—a great idea—but I'm wondering what I got myself into...again.

Any other ambivalent eBay sellers out there? Oh, and in case you're curious, my eBay name is Editoria.

3 comments:

Helen said...

I've never tried selling anything on ebay, but when I was at the height (or nadir, depending on one's viewpoint) of my obsession with Nancy Drew video games, I was a frequent buyer.

crystal said...

I did manage to sell a couple of boxes of cookies from my defunct tea and cookie business. Couldn't sell the tea, though. I do still sell some used books and DVDs at Amazon - just sold and shipped the first season of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys DVD :-) - but they take so much of the profit.

Indigo Bunting said...

I find eBay quite dangerous. I find myself suddenly "needing" stuff I don't actually "need." I can get quite caught up in auctions. So mostly, I stay away, unless I'm looking for something in particular. It's often quite helpful.

I'll look you up!